Does your doggy tend to get bored at home? Or on the contrary, is he full of energy? It might be time to try the lickmat! The lickmat is a must-have activity toy for our canines.
What does it look like? As the name suggests, the lickmat is a small textured mat with spikes or geometric shapes. It is usually made of silicone or natural rubber, on which you can put all kinds of food more or less liquid. Sometimes it is equipped with suction cups to use it in a delicate situation: the bath, the car, cutting the claws...
This licking game is full of benefits, as licking behavior is completely natural and instinctive for our furry friends. This activity is particularly effective in calming anxiety and stress, but also to counter boredom when you are away.
The lickmat also has other benefits:
- It promotes good oral health and fresh breath through the production of saliva that naturally cleans the diaper, teeth and gums.
- It stimulates your dog and satisfies his need for mental activity, which is just as important as physical activity.
- It helps digestion, thanks to the production of saliva.
There are several recipes for using lickmat:
- Fresh fruit purees, except grapes which are toxic for our pooches!
- Fish such as sardines or mackerel, mixed with fresh cheese or yogurt.
- Kibbles, soaked in water for one hour.
- Pâtée, which is quick and easy to spread.
- Peanut butter, in small quantities to prevent weight gain.
- Coconut oil, to add to your recipes for more palatability.
It is essential to test the digestibility of each food by first giving your dog a small amount of the food in question. Then wait 24 to 48 hours and observe his stools and his behavior. If everything is normal and your dog loves it, you can give it without fear!
You will surely find a good reason to offer it to your dog, so get to work!
Please allow technical cookies to view the comments powered by Disqus.